Create the XML Request
Real Time Posting
With Real Time Posting (RTP), job ads can be published, edited and deleted via Monster's Business Gateway (BGW) in near real time.
Here is an overview of the steps for implementing your RTP integration:
- Decide which Job Posting Features to utilize. We recommend taking advantage of Monster's Easy Apply in conjunction with RTP to achieve the best candidate response.
- Create the XML job posting. Samples and a demo job board for testing are provided with Monster's web services toolkit.
- Validate and post your job XML using the toolkit.
- Test posting a job from your application.
- If using Monster Apply, apply to a test job and confirm receipt of candidate information.
ApplyJobs posted to Monster can be enabled to take advantage of Monster's Easy Apply delivery capability.
Find out how.
Job Posting Features
Monster jobs include enhancement features to help an employer's job stand out from others, and/or target the best candidates. Highlights of key features that will differentiate your integration and offer value to employers include:
Supported Boards Clients can post to the following boards based on their available purchased inventory and their desired distribution and targeting.
- Monster Board - Jobs posted to Monster's core job sites and our mobile app.
- Career Ad Network Direct - Syndicates jobs to a network of thousands of sites, targeted to attract the right seekers. When job seekers click on the ad, they'll learn more about the job and apply online. Learn more
- Diversity Board - Distributes jobs to Monster's exclusive network of sites targeting diverse candidates. Learn more
- Veterans - Find and hire the best military talent with the largest military-focused destination site and network. Learn more
- Refresh - Moves the posting to the top after a pre-determined interval with manual updates.
- Auto-Refresh - Moves the posting to the top automatically after a pre-determined interval.
Use the job inventory query to get a snapshot of available inventory for a user. Learn more
Sample XML Request
BGW requests must be sent in the form of SOAP envelopes, which is composed of a header and a body. Each request can include a maximum of a single job and must follow the schema for the Monster Job Postings. SOAP messages are sent to https://gateway.monster.com:8443/bgwBroker
- The full Monster Job Schema can be found here.
The most commonly purchased job solutions contain 30 or 60 day job ads.
Decrements to Job Posting Inventory
- Job Posting Inventory is decremented based on the number of Job Postings within a submission. A Job Posting consists of a single location. If multiple locations are added, the job inventory will be decremented based on the number of locations requested.
- For new jobs, each Job Posting within the Job will cause the inventory to be decremented.
- For updated jobs, each new/additional Job Posting will cause the inventory to be decremented.
- Modification to the location of the job outside of the current Country it is posted to will cause the inventory to be decremented.
- The Job Reference Code is a unique job identifier. Any modifications to the jobRefCode field will be interpreted as the creation of a new job and all Job Posting within that Job will decrement the job posting package. However – the original job will not be expired automatically.
In the job XML
<JobPosting> <InventoryPreference> ... <SocialAdTwitter desired="true"/>
In the job XML, Refresh is defined as an enumeration value of the attribute jobPostingAction of the JobPosting element, as shown below:
If candidates are managed within your own applicant tracking system, an integrated apply solution called Monster's Easy Apply can be used to specify delivery of an applicant's resume and profile information to your platform.
Go here for how to implement Monster's Easy Apply.
If circumstances prevent an integrated solution, a basic applicant redirect is available specified by the CustomApplyOnlineURL field.
When text includes special characters in XML, including HTML markup characters, (ex. <li>One<li>) the text should be surrounded with the CDATA tag. If text uses XML/ HTML entities (ex. > < &) then the CDATA tag should not be used.
More information about HTML Encoding can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encodings_in_HTML
Posting a request with jobAction="addOrUpdate" will update a pre-existing job with such a jobRefCode under the referred recruiter account.
An alternative way of updating a job posting is by using jobAction="update", but this is not recommended. In the case that a job does not already exist with this jobRefCode, it will return an error in the XML Response.
Deleting a job
There are two ways to delete a job position:
1. Set the job action attribute, in your request (the same XML format as for adding or updating) to delete
2. Post a Delete XML request with RefCode as the job identifier
Monster Delete Schema can be found here: http://schemas.monster.com/Current/XSD/Delete.xsd
Updating a posting
Update the posting info on the request setup jobAction to "addOrUpdate" or "Update" and repost it.
Changing one of the key entities (Location/BoardName) on a posting will cause it to be deleted and to add a new posting, or update the existing posting if this combination key already exist under the position.
Deleting a posting
There are two ways to delete a single posting:
1. Omitting a posting from the job request with jobAction set to "addOrUpdate" or "Update" and reposting it will cause this position to be deleted.
2. Posting a delete XML request with postingId as the posting identifier.
Monster Delete Schema can be found here: http://schemas.monster.com/Current/XSD/Delete.xsd
- A Webservices Toolkit, https://integrations.monster.com/Toolkit, is available to validate the XML and post to the Monster's testing or demo board, id 178. It is recommended that this be done in the early stages of development until valid Monster XML can be created on a consistent basis.
- The toolkit cannot be used to post live production jobs on a client's account. Clients need to use their application or a 3rd party tool like Postman.
- Once XML is valid, test posting a job directly to Monster's Business Gateway (BGW) URL https://gateway.monster.com:8443/bgwBroker.
- Monster's BGW uses port 8443; this is not an industry standard port so in some cases it needs to be configured in your firewall. If issues are encountered, be advised that it is not necessary for clients to use port 8443 to exit their systems.
- Test account that can be used to post directly to BGW is username: xrtpjobsx01 password: rtp987654
Test the following activities as part of Real Time Posting (RTP):
- Create the job XML with the job board set to the Monster demo job board (monsterId = 178).
- POST the job XML to https://gateway.monster.com:8443/bgwBroker. This can be done via the toolkit, a 3rd party tool like the Fiddler or Advanced REST Client (ARC) in Chrome.
- Receive and view the response.
- Be able to parse the XML response and provide feedback to users on job posting status (success or failure).
- Ensure there's a process in place to fix and resubmit job postings.
- View the job posting and make adjustments in the XML request as necessary.
- Jobs can be viewed usually within an hour by using this URL, https://job-openings.monster.com/jv/xxxxxxxx?LogGetJobChannelID=736 where xxxxxxxxx is the postingId from the XML response.
- View the job search results (job board 178 only) and make adjustments as necessary. This can be done by going to http://jobsearch.demo.monster.com. Note that job search indexing is typically done within 90 minutes.
- Apply to a job using Monster's Apply
a. Confirm Apply button is visible on job posting
b. Apply to a job.
c. Confirm receipt of job seeker resume
- Repeat steps above and post jobs to the Diversity, CAN and VETERANS demo job boards.
- Note that viewing jobs is not applicable for the Diversity, CAN and VETERANS job boards.
- Perform an inventory query. Parse the results and provide inventory level information to users.
Common Job Errors and Resolutions can be found here.
1. Ensure the correct job boards are being used. The job board Id's are located in the Job Board section of this guide.
2. Have your customers contact their Monster Representative for the following:
a. Request their Real Time Posting credentials or update their existing account to support Real Time job Posting.
c. Check their current job posting inventory types, durations, levels and purchase additional inventory if needed.
3. Contact the partnership team for other marketing ideas to drive client adoption here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Sample files can be found in the webservice toolkit at: https://integrations.monster.com/Toolkit
Business Gateway schemas can be found at: http://schemas.monster.com/current/xsd
The Web Service can be found at: https://gateway.monster.com:8443/bgwBroker
The WSDL’s can be found at: http://schemas.monster.com/current/wsdl
Typically within 90 minutes.
This information can be found at https://integrations.monster.com/Toolkit/LocationEnumeration. For other enumerations select other items from the Enumerations dropdown list in the tool. For enumeration in the schema definitions, go here: http://schemas.monster.com/Current/XSD/Enumerations.xsd
No. It must be in HTTPs.
Yes. You have access to post to any boards associated with your company. The boards have restrictions and some function differently. Contact your Customer Service Representative for additional information.
The encoding of the XML has to match the characters in the text fields otherwise the job will not be displayed properly.
Any text that includes invalid XML characters without HTML encoding.
Any HTML encoded text.
There are two ways to do this: 1) Enter a delete request through the Business Gateway. 2) If there are multiple postings within a job, leave out the posting you want to take down. Note that "Job Posting Action = Delete" does not work!
This is because the username and password elements are not in the same namespace. They use the namespace - http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2002/04/secext
Place the job contact information within the Contact element, which is located under the Job Information element. See the following example: https://integrations.monster.com/Toolkit/RealtimePosting/Sample/Add_Or_Update_Job/Advanced_Fields. The type details can be found at: http://schemas.monster.com/current/xsd/job.xsd. Once at this url, search for "HideableContactType". This is an extension of ContactType.
You need to have multiple JobPosting sections. See https://integrations.monster.com/Toolkit/RealtimePosting/Sample/Add_Or_Update_Job/Multiple_Postings for an example ofthis.